Indonesia boat sinking: 3 dead, dozens missing
Jakarta: Rescuers searching for survivors from a boat that capsized in central Indonesia have found two more bodies, bringing the death toll to three. Dozens remain missing and are feared dead.
The boat was believed to be carrying up to 68 people when it sank yesterday on the Mahakam river in Indonesia`s part of Borneo island.
Wahyu Widhi, the chief of the East Kalimantan provincial disaster mitigation agency, said on Thursday that around 100 people continued to search for survivors. He said 31 passengers were rescued. The exact number of unaccounted for is unclear because no manifest exists, but at least 34 others are believed missing.
Widhi said most passengers failed to use life jackets that were provided.
Boat accidents are common in Indonesia, the world`s largest archipelago, consisting of some 17,000 islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore