Indonesia boat sinking: 3 dead, dozens missing
Jakarta: Rescuers searching for survivors from a boat that capsized in central Indonesia have found two more bodies, bringing the death toll to three. Dozens remain missing and are feared dead.
The boat was believed to be carrying up to 68 people when it sank yesterday on the Mahakam river in Indonesia`s part of Borneo island.
Wahyu Widhi, the chief of the East Kalimantan provincial disaster mitigation agency, said on Thursday that around 100 people continued to search for survivors. He said 31 passengers were rescued. The exact number of unaccounted for is unclear because no manifest exists, but at least 34 others are believed missing.
Widhi said most passengers failed to use life jackets that were provided.
Boat accidents are common in Indonesia, the world`s largest archipelago, consisting of some 17,000 islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack