Indonesia boat sinking: 3 dead, dozens missing
Jakarta: Rescuers searching for survivors from a boat that capsized in central Indonesia have found two more bodies, bringing the death toll to three. Dozens remain missing and are feared dead.
The boat was believed to be carrying up to 68 people when it sank yesterday on the Mahakam river in Indonesia`s part of Borneo island.
Wahyu Widhi, the chief of the East Kalimantan provincial disaster mitigation agency, said on Thursday that around 100 people continued to search for survivors. He said 31 passengers were rescued. The exact number of unaccounted for is unclear because no manifest exists, but at least 34 others are believed missing.
Widhi said most passengers failed to use life jackets that were provided.
Boat accidents are common in Indonesia, the world`s largest archipelago, consisting of some 17,000 islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'