Indonesia: Commuter train slams into fuel tanker in Jakarta, 10 killed
Jakarta: A crowded commuter train crashed into a fuel tanker on the outskirts of the Indonesian capital Jakarta on Monday, killing at least 10 people in a huge explosion and injuring scores.
Investigations are under way following the accident in the afternoon at a crossing in the suburb of Bintaro, southwest of Jakarta, police said. The truck was destroyed in the blaze.
"One of the railway crossing gates malfunctioned. A railway officer had tried to stop the truck," said Dedi Arnadi, head of police for the area, told reporters.
It was one of Indonesia`s worst train accidents since 1987 when 156 people were killed when two trains collided, close to the scene of Monday`s accident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!