Indonesia: Commuter train slams into fuel tanker in Jakarta, 10 killed
Jakarta: A crowded commuter train crashed into a fuel tanker on the outskirts of the Indonesian capital Jakarta on Monday, killing at least 10 people in a huge explosion and injuring scores.
Investigations are under way following the accident in the afternoon at a crossing in the suburb of Bintaro, southwest of Jakarta, police said. The truck was destroyed in the blaze.
"One of the railway crossing gates malfunctioned. A railway officer had tried to stop the truck," said Dedi Arnadi, head of police for the area, told reporters.
It was one of Indonesia`s worst train accidents since 1987 when 156 people were killed when two trains collided, close to the scene of Monday`s accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Picture blast! 'Housefull3' gang gate-crashed Asin's house at midnight
- Kseeb.kar.nic.in & Karresults.nic.in KSEEB 2nd II PUC Results 2016: Karnataka Board 12th XII Class, Second II PUC Exam Results 2016 to be announced today on May 25, 2016 at 4 PM
- Online petition seeking Raghuram Rajan's 2nd term goes viral; 42,000 votes and counting
- Mahabharata’s Bhima is related to Lord Hanuman – Here’s how
- Do you remember Anupam Kher's first movie? Hint: It clocks 32 years today!