Indonesia: Commuter train slams into fuel tanker in Jakarta, 10 killed
Jakarta: A crowded commuter train crashed into a fuel tanker on the outskirts of the Indonesian capital Jakarta on Monday, killing at least 10 people in a huge explosion and injuring scores.
Investigations are under way following the accident in the afternoon at a crossing in the suburb of Bintaro, southwest of Jakarta, police said. The truck was destroyed in the blaze.
"One of the railway crossing gates malfunctioned. A railway officer had tried to stop the truck," said Dedi Arnadi, head of police for the area, told reporters.
It was one of Indonesia`s worst train accidents since 1987 when 156 people were killed when two trains collided, close to the scene of Monday`s accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery