Indonesia: Commuter train slams into fuel tanker in Jakarta, 10 killed
Jakarta: A crowded commuter train crashed into a fuel tanker on the outskirts of the Indonesian capital Jakarta on Monday, killing at least 10 people in a huge explosion and injuring scores.
Investigations are under way following the accident in the afternoon at a crossing in the suburb of Bintaro, southwest of Jakarta, police said. The truck was destroyed in the blaze.
"One of the railway crossing gates malfunctioned. A railway officer had tried to stop the truck," said Dedi Arnadi, head of police for the area, told reporters.
It was one of Indonesia`s worst train accidents since 1987 when 156 people were killed when two trains collided, close to the scene of Monday`s accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL