Indonesia: Commuter train slams into fuel tanker in Jakarta, 10 killed
Jakarta: A crowded commuter train crashed into a fuel tanker on the outskirts of the Indonesian capital Jakarta on Monday, killing at least 10 people in a huge explosion and injuring scores.
Investigations are under way following the accident in the afternoon at a crossing in the suburb of Bintaro, southwest of Jakarta, police said. The truck was destroyed in the blaze.
"One of the railway crossing gates malfunctioned. A railway officer had tried to stop the truck," said Dedi Arnadi, head of police for the area, told reporters.
It was one of Indonesia`s worst train accidents since 1987 when 156 people were killed when two trains collided, close to the scene of Monday`s accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda