Indonesia Islamist group on US terror list
Washington: The United States on Thursday officially branded Islamist firebrand Abu Bakar Bashir`s Jemaah Anshorut Tauhid group as a foreign terrorist organisation, tying it to multiple attacks in Indonesia.
The US Treasury announced that it was placing sanctions on three leading members of the group after it was designated as a terrorist organisation by the State Department.
The three people named under the sanctions, which prevent US citizens and businesses from conducting any transactions with them, were JAT acting emir Mochammad Achwan, spokesman Son Hadi bin Muhadjir, and recruiter and fundraiser Abdul Rosyid Ridho Ba`asyir.
The US "is taking another step to ensure that terrorists are cut off from the international financial system and find it ever more difficult to carry out their acts of violence, no matter where they are based," said Treasury official Adam Szubin.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India