Indonesia landslides kill 19 villagers; 10 missing
Jakarta: Two landslides triggered by torrential rain killed at least 19 people and left 10 others missing on Indonesia`s main island of Java, a government official said on Tuesday.
Five houses were buried when mud rolled down from surrounding hills just after midnight in Mekarsari village of East Java`s Jombang district, said National Disaster Mitigation Agency`s spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho.
He said rescuers pulled seven bodies from mounds of mud and were still searching for 10 others reportedly missing under tons of debris.
"Lack of equipment hampered our rescue efforts for those who are still missing and feared dead," said Nugroho. Authorities struggled to get tractors and bulldozers over washed-out roads.
Television footage showed hundreds of police, soldiers and residents digging through debris with their hands, shovels and hoes.
Today`s disaster was second fatal landslide within several days on the densely populated Java island.
A similar landslide hit Central Java`s Kudos district when mud and rocks suddenly cascaded down hills late Friday, leaving at least 12 villagers dead.
Seasonal rains and high tides in recent days have caused dozens of landslides and widespread flooding across much of Indonesia, a chain of 17,000 islands where millions of people live in mountainous areas or near fertile flood plains near rivers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata