Indonesia landslides kill 19 villagers; 10 missing
Jakarta: Two landslides triggered by torrential rain killed at least 19 people and left 10 others missing on Indonesia`s main island of Java, a government official said on Tuesday.
Five houses were buried when mud rolled down from surrounding hills just after midnight in Mekarsari village of East Java`s Jombang district, said National Disaster Mitigation Agency`s spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho.
He said rescuers pulled seven bodies from mounds of mud and were still searching for 10 others reportedly missing under tons of debris.
"Lack of equipment hampered our rescue efforts for those who are still missing and feared dead," said Nugroho. Authorities struggled to get tractors and bulldozers over washed-out roads.
Television footage showed hundreds of police, soldiers and residents digging through debris with their hands, shovels and hoes.
Today`s disaster was second fatal landslide within several days on the densely populated Java island.
A similar landslide hit Central Java`s Kudos district when mud and rocks suddenly cascaded down hills late Friday, leaving at least 12 villagers dead.
Seasonal rains and high tides in recent days have caused dozens of landslides and widespread flooding across much of Indonesia, a chain of 17,000 islands where millions of people live in mountainous areas or near fertile flood plains near rivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened