Indonesia police kill, capture more terror suspects in Aceh
Banda Aceh: Indonesia police said on Monday they had shot dead an Islamic militant involved in the beheading of three schoolgirls in 2005 and captured three other men in raids in Aceh province in Sumatra.
Police carried out the raids around Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh, following the arrest on Sunday morning of six terror suspects in Medan, North Sumatra.
Scores of suspected militants have been arrested in recent weeks, most of whom had trained at a camp in Aceh. Some of those arrested or killed in raids in recent weeks had been involved in bomb attacks in Indonesia.
Security experts have warned that Indonesia`s militant network has strengthened, as individuals from the splinter groups of Jemaah Islamiah and other radical organizations have formed an alliance.
Police said on Monday they shot a man involved in the beheading of three Christian schoolgirls in 2005 in the Poso region of Central Sulawesi province. More than 2,000 people died there in clashes between Christians and Muslims from 1998 to 2001.
"We have shot dead a wanted terrorist... He was involved in the mutilation of three schoolgirls in Poso in 2005," said Aceh police chief of detectives, Esa Permana, in a text message.
The man, Enal Tao alias Zaenal alias Ridwan, 38, had arranged for militants to travel to the Philippines for training in a militant camp, Permana said.
Separately, a national police spokesman in Jakarta said one of the six men captured in Medan had been trained at a militant camp in the southern Philippines, while two others had been involved in the bomb attack on the Australian embassy in Jakarta in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'