Indonesia raids suspects wanted in embassy plot
Bandung: Indonesia`s anti-terrorism squad today swooped in on the believed hideout of militants suspected of plotting to blow up the Myanmar Embassy. Multiple shots were fired as police surrounded the house for hours and called for those inside to surrender, but it was unclear if anyone was hurt.
Deputy Chief of National Police Lt. Gen. Nanan Sukarna said the raid in Cigondewah village in West Java province was aimed at capturing four militants believed to be involved in last week`s foiled embassy attack in Jakarta.
The suspects have been living in the rented house for the last four months, Sukarna said.
National police chief Gen. Timur Pradopo told reporters after briefing President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono that shots were fired because there was resistance from the suspected militants holed up inside the house.
"Hopefully there are no casualties," Pradopo said, adding that residents living near the house were evacuated.
A reporter at the scene said police were yelling for the militants to give themselves up. They counted down from three and then fired.
Local broadcaster MetroTV provided live coverage of the standoff, showing an officer in black riot gear standing behind a red house holding a rifle in a neighbourhood dotted with houses and rice fields.
Last week, police arrested two suspected militants in Jakarta and seized five homemade bombs from a backpack they were carrying. Their interrogation led to a rented house where other explosive materials were found. The militants told authorities they wanted to retaliate against Myanmar for recent attacks on Muslims there.
Sectarian violence in Buddhist-majority Myanmar has killed scores, and thousands of Muslims have been driven from their homes.
Police said the men were part of a cell allegedly involved in recent attacks against Indonesian police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands