Indonesia says `no, thanks` to Russia`s Sukhoi jet
Moscow: Indonesia will buy no more Sukhoi fighter jets from Russia, opting instead for US F-16s, an Indonesian official said Thursday.
The Indonesian Air Force has 10 Su-30 and Su-27s with six additional fighters on the way.
Air Marshal Eris Herryanto told aviation news portal Flightglobal that money is being made available to accelerate the refurbishment of its existing fleet of 15 Lockheed Martin C-130s, as well as to buy four C-130Hs from Australia and upgrade them.
Herryanto, also secretary general of the Indonesian defence ministry, said: "We are waiting for 24 F-16s from the US. With those, we will have enough aircraft in our fighter inventory for the next 20 years. And that means we have enough Sukhoi fighters for now."
Indonesia has also invested in South Korea`s K-FX programme, which will produce fighters to replace aircraft like the Northrop F-5s and F-16s.
"We aim to buy enough K-FX fighters for three squadrons of 16-22 aircraft each. That will cover our long-term requirements," he said.
Sukhoi said they were not aware of Indonesia`s plans.
A source at the United Aircraft Corp. said he was not surprised by Indonesia`s decision, as there has been no discussion with Jakarta for any more Sukhoi sales.
Indonesia recently bought six Su-30 fighters to be delivered within the next three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital