Indonesia says `no, thanks` to Russia`s Sukhoi jet
Moscow: Indonesia will buy no more Sukhoi fighter jets from Russia, opting instead for US F-16s, an Indonesian official said Thursday.
The Indonesian Air Force has 10 Su-30 and Su-27s with six additional fighters on the way.
Air Marshal Eris Herryanto told aviation news portal Flightglobal that money is being made available to accelerate the refurbishment of its existing fleet of 15 Lockheed Martin C-130s, as well as to buy four C-130Hs from Australia and upgrade them.
Herryanto, also secretary general of the Indonesian defence ministry, said: "We are waiting for 24 F-16s from the US. With those, we will have enough aircraft in our fighter inventory for the next 20 years. And that means we have enough Sukhoi fighters for now."
Indonesia has also invested in South Korea`s K-FX programme, which will produce fighters to replace aircraft like the Northrop F-5s and F-16s.
"We aim to buy enough K-FX fighters for three squadrons of 16-22 aircraft each. That will cover our long-term requirements," he said.
Sukhoi said they were not aware of Indonesia`s plans.
A source at the United Aircraft Corp. said he was not surprised by Indonesia`s decision, as there has been no discussion with Jakarta for any more Sukhoi sales.
Indonesia recently bought six Su-30 fighters to be delivered within the next three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27