Indonesia says `no, thanks` to Russia`s Sukhoi jet
Moscow: Indonesia will buy no more Sukhoi fighter jets from Russia, opting instead for US F-16s, an Indonesian official said Thursday.
The Indonesian Air Force has 10 Su-30 and Su-27s with six additional fighters on the way.
Air Marshal Eris Herryanto told aviation news portal Flightglobal that money is being made available to accelerate the refurbishment of its existing fleet of 15 Lockheed Martin C-130s, as well as to buy four C-130Hs from Australia and upgrade them.
Herryanto, also secretary general of the Indonesian defence ministry, said: "We are waiting for 24 F-16s from the US. With those, we will have enough aircraft in our fighter inventory for the next 20 years. And that means we have enough Sukhoi fighters for now."
Indonesia has also invested in South Korea`s K-FX programme, which will produce fighters to replace aircraft like the Northrop F-5s and F-16s.
"We aim to buy enough K-FX fighters for three squadrons of 16-22 aircraft each. That will cover our long-term requirements," he said.
Sukhoi said they were not aware of Indonesia`s plans.
A source at the United Aircraft Corp. said he was not surprised by Indonesia`s decision, as there has been no discussion with Jakarta for any more Sukhoi sales.
Indonesia recently bought six Su-30 fighters to be delivered within the next three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves