Indonesia sends troops to quell sectarian clashes
Ambon: Indonesia deployed security forces to an eastern region after gangs of Muslims and Christians armed with rocks and machetes clashed in violence that left three people dead and 80 others injured, officials said on Monday.
The violence broke out in the Maluku provincial capital of Ambon on Sunday after rumours spread that a Muslim motorcycle taxi driver, who died in a traffic accident, had been killed and tortured by Christians, said Capt. Marinus Djati, the Ambon traffic police chief.
Groups of Muslims confronted Christians after the man`s funeral. The two sides traded insults and later started throwing rocks and swinging machetes, police said. The rioters also set fire to houses, cars and motorcycles despite police attempts to break up them up with warning shots, Djati said.
Two of the three people killed were high school students, said Ita Sabrina, spokeswoman at a hospital where many of the victims were sent.
At least 80 people were injured, said Bakrie Asyatri, the local government spokesman in Ambon.
More than 200 special forces were being deployed in Ambon to try to bring down tensions, said National Police spokesman Major General Anton Bachrul Alam.
Indonesia is overwhelmingly Muslim, but Christians form the majority in parts of Maluku — known as the Spice Islands in colonial times — and other eastern regions.
More than 9,000 people were killed in sectarian violence in Ambon between 1999 and 2002 but the area has been largely peaceful since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery