`Indonesia shows Islam, democracy can co-exist`
Bali: US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is urging Indonesia to promote democracy in Myanmar and countries in the Middle East and North Africa in the throes of upheaval. She says its successful transition from dictatorship and status as a vibrant Muslim-majority democracy make it an ideal role model for both Myanmar and the Arab world.
In meetings with senior Indonesian officials on Sunday in Bali, Hillary said the country`s recent history "provides an example for a transition to civilian rule and building strong democratic institutions”. She said Indonesia has made significant strides toward democracy and shown that Islam and democracy can co-exist.
"In the year of the Arab Spring, there has never been a better moment for Indonesians to share what they learned from their own transition to democracy with the people of Egypt, Tunisia, and other nations that are now on that same difficult journey," Hillary said.
Indonesia, a nation of more than 237 million people, was ruled since the end of World War II by dictators Sukarno and Suharto. Suharto was ousted in a popular uprising in 1998. The world`s most populous Muslim nation, Indonesia emerged from decades of authoritarian rule just over 10 years ago.
Its history could show the Asian nation of Myanmar the way toward democracy.
"Indonesia`s own recent history provides an example for a transition to civilian rule and building strong democratic institutions," Hillary said during a news conference with Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa.
Myanmar`s new civilian government, which took over late last year after a half-century of military rule, needs to make "concrete, measurable progress" in bringing about democratic reforms if it wants to win the confidence of the international community, Hillary said earlier in the week.
That includes releasing more than 2,000 political prisoners and holding meaningful dialogue with its political opponents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?