Indonesia suggests reshuffle of UN Security Council
Nusa Dua: Echoing the chorus
for "overhauling" of the UN Security Council, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has suggested the need to reshuffle the membership position in the Council "so that it
reflects the reality of the world Wednesday".
The President`s suggestion came in his opening speech
at the 16th Non Aligned Movement (NAM) Ministerial Conference
being held here today.]
"At the global level, NAM must sustain efforts of
reforming governance, not only in the economic field, but also
and especially in the security field. This means overhauling
the UN Security Council, so that it reflects the reality of
the world today, in which emerging powers have so much more to
contribute to global peace and security," said the President.
The President added that the UN and other
international organisations must adjust themselves with the
new world order and give the new emerging power countries a
chance to contribute to global security.
With the theme being "Shared Vision on the
Contribution of NAM in the Next 50 Years", the Bali meeting is
expected to formulate a future vision for the organisation in
order to remain relevant in facing global challenges.
Representatives from 128 NAM members, 13 countries
with observer status and 20 guest countries are participating
in the ministerial meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!