Indonesia train derails in landslide; 3 dead
Jakarta: A passenger train hit mounds of mud triggered by a landslide and derailed in central Indonesia, killing at least three people and injuring seven, an official said on Saturday.
A landslide following torrential rains buried part of the tracks at a dark junction during a heavy downpour and the train`s brakes could not stop it from hitting the mud.
The train derailed late yesterday in Tasikmalaya, a district on Java island, killing two men and a female train attendant, said Junerfin, a spokesman for the Indonesian Railway Company who like many Indonesians uses only one name.
Seven others were hospitalised, including two in critical condition, he said.
Three coaches fell into a 10-metre-deep ravine, sending hundreds of panicked passengers running away. Rescuers pulled out the three bodies pinned under the wreckage, Junerfin said.
Train accidents are common in Indonesia`s ageing railway network and poor infrastructure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!