Indonesia train derails in landslide; 3 dead
Jakarta: A passenger train hit mounds of mud triggered by a landslide and derailed in central Indonesia, killing at least three people and injuring seven, an official said on Saturday.
A landslide following torrential rains buried part of the tracks at a dark junction during a heavy downpour and the train`s brakes could not stop it from hitting the mud.
The train derailed late yesterday in Tasikmalaya, a district on Java island, killing two men and a female train attendant, said Junerfin, a spokesman for the Indonesian Railway Company who like many Indonesians uses only one name.
Seven others were hospitalised, including two in critical condition, he said.
Three coaches fell into a 10-metre-deep ravine, sending hundreds of panicked passengers running away. Rescuers pulled out the three bodies pinned under the wreckage, Junerfin said.
Train accidents are common in Indonesia`s ageing railway network and poor infrastructure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city