Indonesia train derails in landslide; 3 dead
Jakarta: A passenger train hit mounds of mud triggered by a landslide and derailed in central Indonesia, killing at least three people and injuring seven, an official said on Saturday.
A landslide following torrential rains buried part of the tracks at a dark junction during a heavy downpour and the train`s brakes could not stop it from hitting the mud.
The train derailed late yesterday in Tasikmalaya, a district on Java island, killing two men and a female train attendant, said Junerfin, a spokesman for the Indonesian Railway Company who like many Indonesians uses only one name.
Seven others were hospitalised, including two in critical condition, he said.
Three coaches fell into a 10-metre-deep ravine, sending hundreds of panicked passengers running away. Rescuers pulled out the three bodies pinned under the wreckage, Junerfin said.
Train accidents are common in Indonesia`s ageing railway network and poor infrastructure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Jacqueline Fernandez can't wait to crack up on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Google's latest app will bring Indian art and culture closer
- Hungary's Orban says "obvious connection" between terrorism and migration
- Parineeti Chopra is not part of 'Mubaraka'
- ITC Q1 net profit up 10% to Rs 2,385 crore