Indonesian anti-terror chief sees danger in Obama`s visit
Jakarta: Indonesia`s counter-terrorism chief
on Thursday said extremists could try to disrupt a planned visit by
US President Barack Obama this month, although there was no
evidence of a direct threat.
Police Colonel Mohammed Tito Karanvian said security
forces had recently shattered a major new cell in the
Muslim-majority country, the scene of repeated attacks
including the 2002 Bali bombings which killed 202 people.
The group had targeted Westerners in Aceh province in the
lead-up to Obama`s visit, which was initially scheduled for
March, and some of its leaders were still on the loose, he
said at a lunch with reporters.
"For the current plan of the visit by Obama we haven`t
got any new information on a plot, but we need to pay
attention and be very careful. Why? Because some of them
remain at large," Karnavian said.
"The idea was already there in February. We`re not really
sure if the idea has already been deleted or not."
The chief of the Detachment 88 anti-terror squad said
police had arrested 61 terrorists and killed 13 since
discovering the new cell`s training camp in Aceh in March, he
The Aceh cell was linked to the Jemaah Islamiyah regional
terror network and other extremist groups bent on creating an
Islamic caliphate across Southeast Asia, and inspired by
Al-Qaeda`s ideology of "holy war".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS