Indonesian couple face caning for adultery: Police
Banda Aceh: A couple caught having
extramarital sex in Indonesia were paraded naked through their
village, beaten by an angry mob and now face a public caning,
an official said on Thursday.
Bus, a 36-year-old teacher, and Yus, a 28-year-old
housewife, were caught having sex yesterday in deeply Islamic
Aceh province, where religious police enforce sharia or
"The villagers raided the woman`s house and found the
couple together," West Aceh district sharia police official
Teuku Abdurrazak said.
"They dragged them out, paraded them naked through the
village, tied them to a post and then beat them with sticks
and their bare hands till they were black and blue.
"The villagers were so angry... if the police had come
any later the couple could have died."
The pair could receive up to nine lashes each in
public if they are found guilty of adultery, Abdurrazak said.
Aceh adopted partial sharia law in 2001 as part of an
autonomy package from Jakarta aimed at quelling separatist
Nearly 90 per cent of Indonesia`s 234 million people
are Muslims, but the vast majority practise a moderate form of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why