Indonesian couple face caning for adultery: Police
Banda Aceh: A couple caught having
extramarital sex in Indonesia were paraded naked through their
village, beaten by an angry mob and now face a public caning,
an official said on Thursday.
Bus, a 36-year-old teacher, and Yus, a 28-year-old
housewife, were caught having sex yesterday in deeply Islamic
Aceh province, where religious police enforce sharia or
"The villagers raided the woman`s house and found the
couple together," West Aceh district sharia police official
Teuku Abdurrazak said.
"They dragged them out, paraded them naked through the
village, tied them to a post and then beat them with sticks
and their bare hands till they were black and blue.
"The villagers were so angry... if the police had come
any later the couple could have died."
The pair could receive up to nine lashes each in
public if they are found guilty of adultery, Abdurrazak said.
Aceh adopted partial sharia law in 2001 as part of an
autonomy package from Jakarta aimed at quelling separatist
Nearly 90 per cent of Indonesia`s 234 million people
are Muslims, but the vast majority practise a moderate form of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'