Indonesian couples caned over extramarital affairs
Banda Aceh: Two couples were caned in Indonesia`s staunchly Muslim Aceh province on Friday after being caught having extramarital affairs, a prosecutor said.
About two hundred people gathered after Friday prayers to watch the four people receive their allotted lashes at a mosque in the city of Jantho, southeast of the provincial capital, Banda Aceh.
Sudirman, 43, and Irdayanti, 34, received nine lashes each.
"The reason for the harsh punishment is that both of them are already married to other people," prosecutor Bendry Almy said.
The other couple punished were Rudi Setia Yudda, 40, who received seven lashes, and 18-year old Nuramalia, who received four.
Irdayanti, who is married to another man, cried as the punishment was carried out and afterwards fainted. She was treated at a local hospital.
The crowd shouted at Sudirman and Yudda, saying their adulterous behaviour had caused them to be flogged and asking that they be meted out extra lashes.
Aceh, on the northern tip of Sumatra island, is one of several areas in Muslim-majority Indonesia where Islamic sharia law has been adopted. Caning as carried out there is mainly aimed at causing shame rather than injury.
In December, two people were caned in Aceh after being caught having an extramarital kiss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'