Indonesian couples caned over extramarital affairs
Banda Aceh: Two couples were caned in Indonesia`s staunchly Muslim Aceh province on Friday after being caught having extramarital affairs, a prosecutor said.
About two hundred people gathered after Friday prayers to watch the four people receive their allotted lashes at a mosque in the city of Jantho, southeast of the provincial capital, Banda Aceh.
Sudirman, 43, and Irdayanti, 34, received nine lashes each.
"The reason for the harsh punishment is that both of them are already married to other people," prosecutor Bendry Almy said.
The other couple punished were Rudi Setia Yudda, 40, who received seven lashes, and 18-year old Nuramalia, who received four.
Irdayanti, who is married to another man, cried as the punishment was carried out and afterwards fainted. She was treated at a local hospital.
The crowd shouted at Sudirman and Yudda, saying their adulterous behaviour had caused them to be flogged and asking that they be meted out extra lashes.
Aceh, on the northern tip of Sumatra island, is one of several areas in Muslim-majority Indonesia where Islamic sharia law has been adopted. Caning as carried out there is mainly aimed at causing shame rather than injury.
In December, two people were caned in Aceh after being caught having an extramarital kiss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda