Indonesian couples caned over extramarital affairs
Banda Aceh: Two couples were caned in Indonesia`s staunchly Muslim Aceh province on Friday after being caught having extramarital affairs, a prosecutor said.
About two hundred people gathered after Friday prayers to watch the four people receive their allotted lashes at a mosque in the city of Jantho, southeast of the provincial capital, Banda Aceh.
Sudirman, 43, and Irdayanti, 34, received nine lashes each.
"The reason for the harsh punishment is that both of them are already married to other people," prosecutor Bendry Almy said.
The other couple punished were Rudi Setia Yudda, 40, who received seven lashes, and 18-year old Nuramalia, who received four.
Irdayanti, who is married to another man, cried as the punishment was carried out and afterwards fainted. She was treated at a local hospital.
The crowd shouted at Sudirman and Yudda, saying their adulterous behaviour had caused them to be flogged and asking that they be meted out extra lashes.
Aceh, on the northern tip of Sumatra island, is one of several areas in Muslim-majority Indonesia where Islamic sharia law has been adopted. Caning as carried out there is mainly aimed at causing shame rather than injury.
In December, two people were caned in Aceh after being caught having an extramarital kiss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list