Indonesian couples caned over extramarital affairs
Banda Aceh: Two couples were caned in Indonesia`s staunchly Muslim Aceh province on Friday after being caught having extramarital affairs, a prosecutor said.
About two hundred people gathered after Friday prayers to watch the four people receive their allotted lashes at a mosque in the city of Jantho, southeast of the provincial capital, Banda Aceh.
Sudirman, 43, and Irdayanti, 34, received nine lashes each.
"The reason for the harsh punishment is that both of them are already married to other people," prosecutor Bendry Almy said.
The other couple punished were Rudi Setia Yudda, 40, who received seven lashes, and 18-year old Nuramalia, who received four.
Irdayanti, who is married to another man, cried as the punishment was carried out and afterwards fainted. She was treated at a local hospital.
The crowd shouted at Sudirman and Yudda, saying their adulterous behaviour had caused them to be flogged and asking that they be meted out extra lashes.
Aceh, on the northern tip of Sumatra island, is one of several areas in Muslim-majority Indonesia where Islamic sharia law has been adopted. Caning as carried out there is mainly aimed at causing shame rather than injury.
In December, two people were caned in Aceh after being caught having an extramarital kiss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report