Indonesian judge faces axe over `rape joke`
Jakarta: A high court judge in Indonesia faces dismissal and is to confront ethics tribunal after making an outrageous comment on rape victims while appearing for Supreme Court interview.
The judge named Muhammad Daming Sunusi suggested that that there was a possibility that women victims enjoy the despicable act of rape.
The offensive remark from the judge came when he was sitting for an interview by a parliamentary panel for a post at the Supreme Court.
On being asked whether the death penalty was a suitable punishment for rape, Sanusi said that since both the attacker and the victim "might have enjoyed it we have to think twice about imposing the death penalty."
The lawmakers interviewing him reportedly broke into laughter on the judge’s rape ‘joke’.
The senseless remark has sparked public outrage in the Muslim country with the women’s groups protesting against it.
A judicial commission looking into judges’ code of conduct has recommended his dismissal and is investigating whether Mr Daming broke the code of ethics.
Also a House of Representatives ethics committee is mulling to probe the lawmakers who reportedly laughed at the rape remark of the judge, an Indonesian newspaper reported.
The judge in question has apologised for his comment saying that he just meant to lighten the tense interview atmosphere. He also said later at a press conference that he had "said something that no man should ever say, especially a Supreme Court candidate".
"I have three adolescent daughters and one of them told me that she is very embarrassed and that she felt as if she did not know me at all," he said.
This is not a first instance any such derogatory comment has been made about rape.
Earlier Jakarta Governor Fauzi Bowo had earned notoriety for saying that women should avoid wearing miniskirts to avoid any untoward incidents.
Uncalled for remarks on rape are not uncommon as was seen in remarks o US Republicans Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock who suggested “woman’s body could shut the process of rape” and “even if a life is born during rape, it is god intended”, respectively.
India, where December 16’s Delhi gang-rape drew widespread outrage inside and outside the country, is no stranger to strange comments about rape from politicians cutting across party lines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared