Indonesian maid jailed for child abuse, attempted murder
Kuala Lumpur: A 24-year-old Indonesian maid was today sentenced to 20 years in prison in Malaysia after she pleaded guilty to two separate charges of attempted murder and physical abuse of her employer`s four-month-old baby boy.
Yuliana pleaded guilty to attempted murder of four-month-old Mohamed Hareez at his parents` home in Kuantan last week on February 15.
The sessions court gave Yuliana a 15-year sentence for the first offence and another five years for the second offence and ordered the jail terms to run concurrently.
The maid allegedly hurled and slammed the baby onto the floor when she was alone with him in her employers` house, an incident that was captured on CCTV installed at the residence, New Straits Times said.
She also pleaded guilty to causing physical injuries to the victim, who remains in hospital.
"A deterrent sentence must be handed down to serve as a lesson not just to the accused but to the public," said Azhar.
The baby`s mother, Nina Suraya Sulaiman, had earlier said she saw the incident on her mobile phone that was connected to a CCTV in her home, according to The Star newspaper.
Sulaiman, who was having breakfast at a nearby restaurant when she witnessed the events at her home, rushed back and took the child to the Tengku Ampuan Afzan Hospital (HTAA), the Star added.
The CCTV video recording of the incident went viral on the social networking sites after the victim`s father lodged a police report and handed the video clip to a television station.
The maid was arrested on Friday based on the complaint. Malaysia heavily relies on foreign labour to help out in various sectors.
Even maids for household tasks are sourced from abroad including from Indonesia, Philippines, India and Sri Lanka among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday