Indonesian police kill 4 suspected militants
Jakarta: Indonesian police say they have shot dead four suspected Islamic militants and arrested two others in North Sumatra province.
Deputy regional police chief Brig Gen Syafruddin said the gunbattle that broke out Saturday in a small village in Serdang Bedagai district was still going on at dusk. Syafruddin, who goes by one name, said one policeman was wounded.
He said the detainees included Taufik Hidayat, accused in an attack last month on a police station near the provincial capital Medan in which three officers were shot dead.
Indonesian authorities have in recent months have repeatedly clashed with suspected militants. Since 2002, radical Islamists have periodically launched terrorist attacks
on nightclubs, hotels, embassies and restaurants here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country