Indonesian police surround Bali prison after riot
Bali: Hundreds of security forces surrounded a prison on the resort island of Bali on Thursday, firing warning shots and tear gas to quell inmates after a second night of rioting.
There were no immediate reports of injuries.
By late morning, the situation appeared tense but under control.
Prisoners at the Kerobokan jail — which houses drug traffickers, sex offenders and other violent criminals — were freely roaming the compound on Wednesday night after chasing out guards in the first round of unrest, said Beny Arjanto, the local police chief.
As midnight neared, some climbed to the top of the watch tower and started throwing rocks and a Molotov cocktail at more than 500 soldiers and police stationed outside.
The troops, backed by water cannons and armoured vehicles, responded with tear gas and shots in the air
The Kerobokan prison, located about 20 minutes from Bali`s international airport, is notoriously overcrowded.
Built for around 300 prisoners, it houses more than three times that. Roughly 60 are foreigners, including 12 Australian drug traffickers.
Police Major General Totoy Herawan Indra said the riot that started late Tuesday night was prompted largely by the stabbing of one of the inmates.
Hours later, prisoners also were demanding the release of three inmates detained during the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what