Indonesian police surround Bali prison after riot
Bali: Hundreds of security forces surrounded a prison on the resort island of Bali on Thursday, firing warning shots and tear gas to quell inmates after a second night of rioting.
There were no immediate reports of injuries.
By late morning, the situation appeared tense but under control.
Prisoners at the Kerobokan jail — which houses drug traffickers, sex offenders and other violent criminals — were freely roaming the compound on Wednesday night after chasing out guards in the first round of unrest, said Beny Arjanto, the local police chief.
As midnight neared, some climbed to the top of the watch tower and started throwing rocks and a Molotov cocktail at more than 500 soldiers and police stationed outside.
The troops, backed by water cannons and armoured vehicles, responded with tear gas and shots in the air
The Kerobokan prison, located about 20 minutes from Bali`s international airport, is notoriously overcrowded.
Built for around 300 prisoners, it houses more than three times that. Roughly 60 are foreigners, including 12 Australian drug traffickers.
Police Major General Totoy Herawan Indra said the riot that started late Tuesday night was prompted largely by the stabbing of one of the inmates.
Hours later, prisoners also were demanding the release of three inmates detained during the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video