Indonesian politician given 16-year term for graft
Jakarta: Indonesia`s corruption court has sentenced a former top leader of the country`s largest Islamic-based political party to 16 years in prison for corruption and money laundering.
The court found Luthfi Hasan Ishaaq of the Prosperous Justice Party guilty today of accepting USD 108,700 in bribes to secure a government contract for a meat importer.
He was arrested in January following the detention of two company directors and his aide.
The presiding judge also ordered Ishaaq to pay a fine of USD 84,110 or serve another year in jail.
The party, better known as PKS, is Indonesia`s largest Muslim-based party and is part of the coalition government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation