‘Infiltrators’ tipped-off US consulate attack militants
Washington: The attack on the US consulate in Libya, which culminated in the death of American Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other American officials, was part of an organised operation that was pre-planned by heavily-armed militants, a senior Libyan security official has said.
Wanis el-Sharef, the eastern Libya`s deputy interior minister, claimed that the attacks were a pre-decided two-part operation, which included a precisely timed raid on a supposedly secret safe house, just as Libyan and US security forces were arriving to rescue the evacuated consulate staff, Stuffz.co.nz reports.
He said the attacks are suspected to have been timed to mark the 9/11 anniversary and the militants used civilians protesting an anti-Islam film as cover for their action. Infiltrators within the security forces may have tipped off militants to the safe house location, he said.
He said an unspecified number of militants who are suspected of taking part in the attack have been arrested and others were being closely monitored by police to see whether they are linked to a group.
Stevens and another American were killed in the consulate during the initial violence, as plain-clothed Libyan security were evacuating the consulate’s staff to the safe house about a mile away, el-Sharef said.
The second assault took place several hours later and targeted the safe house, a villa inside the grounds of Libya’s equestrian club, killing two Americans and wounding a number of Libyans and Americans, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'