Injured victims of polar bear attack recuperating

Last Updated: Saturday, August 6, 2011 - 23:58

London: The four British survivors of a deadly
polar bear attack in Norway`s Arctic Svalbard archipelago have
been operated on and will be transferred home as soon as
possible, officials said on Saturday.

None of the injuries were life threatening, University
Hospital in Tromsoe spokeswoman Marit Einejord said, adding
that the four were resting after surgery. British Ambassador
Jane Owen, who visited the group in the hospital, said they
were "all bearing up well."

"It`s clearly a priority to get them home as soon as
possible," she said. "It`s obviously still a very difficult
time for the families and so we are here to try and help and
our sympathies and feelings go out to everyone who`s been
involved with this awful tragedy."

The grieving family of 17-year-old Horatio Chapple, who
died in the attack, paid tribute to a schoolboy they described
as "strong, fearless and kind." His relatives said in a
statement that he had been "so excited about his plans to be a
doctor" and praised his "amazing sense of humor and ability to
laugh at himself."

The attack took place in Svalbard, a group of islands
home to about 2,400 people and 3,000 polar bears. The Arctic
territory attracts well-off and hardy tourists with stunning
views of snow-covered mountains, fjords and glaciers.

The campers were in a group of 80 people, most of them
between 16 and 23. Many posed Wednesday for a final photo
together before splitting into smaller groups to head out to
more remote parts of the Arctic.

PTI



First Published: Saturday, August 6, 2011 - 23:58

comments powered by Disqus
Live Streaming of Lalbaugcha Raja