‘Inmates caught tunnelling out of Greek prison’
Athens: Three inmates were caught trying to
tunnel out of Greece`s top security prison, which is home to
deadly left-wing militants and has already experienced two
daring jailbreaks, an official said on Tuesday.
"An attempted escape has been foiled at Korydallos Prison
and those involved have been caught," deputy justice minister
George Petalotis said, praising guards for their vigilance.
State television NET said the three men, a Greek and two
foreigners, had dug a 10-metre hole into the prison`s
basement. Guards yesterday found and confiscated rope, a
winch, a hammer and a chisel, NET said.
Korydallos holds many high-profile convicts including
members of the November 17 extremist organisation.
In 2009, prison authorities were left red-faced after two
convicts escaped by helicopter for the second time in three
Bank robber Vassilis Paleokostas and convicted Albanian
killer Alket Rizai used a rope ladder to board the chopper
that had been hijacked by accomplices.
It was a repeat performance of an airborne escape by the
same pair in 2006. At the time, they were whisked out of
Korydallos by another hijacked chopper that landed in the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview