Inquest to open into death of Indian student in UK
London: An inquest is set to open into the death of an 18-year-old engineering student from Chennai, who was found dead in her student accommodation at Liverpool University in the UK.
Georgina Thomsson was found hanged in a case of suspected suicide on July 12.
The local Merseyside Police are not treating the incident as suspicious and an inquest to determine the exact cause of death is due to open at the Liverpool Coroner’s Office tomorrow.
The coroner is still awaiting results of a few inquiries before the inquest can open tomorrow. We hope to be able to release the body for funeral soon after a spokesperson for the coroner’s office said.
Thomsson had arrived in Britain a year ago to take up an aerospace engineering course at the university to fulfil her dream of becoming an astronaut.
She had not been in regular contact with her family in India and in one of her last emails a few months ago, she wrote about being unwell.
Her father, police inspector S Thomsson, is now in Liverpool in search of answers and is struggling with the idea of his daughter committing suicide.
“There is no fan, no iron rod in the room where she was found dead. How could she hang herself,” he said in reference to her room on campus at Edge Hill, where she was found.
He has approached the Indian High Commission in London for help with the case and to take his daughter’s body back to India for funeral once it is released by the coroner.
Kelvin Everest, University of Liverpool pro-vice- chancellor, said: “This case is with the coroner and under UK law there are restrictions on the information we are able to disclose about the circumstances of the student’21s death, but we are doing our utmost to support friends and family affected by this tragic event."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion