INS Vikrant won`t spark an arms race: China
Beijing: China on Thursday slammed as "groundless" local media commentaries that claimed India`s first indigenous aircraft carrier has sparked a regional arms race, saying they were aimed at "driving a wedge" between the two neighbours.
Local media has speculated that India has marched ahead of China with the launch of indigenously-built INS Vikrant.
China`s Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun, however, slammed such comments saying that they were aimed at provoking tensions between China and India, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
"It is groundless and shows a lack of goodwill to use weapons equipment as a pretext to drive a wedge between China and India," he said.
His remarks followed recent comments alleging India`s aircraft carrier obviously targets China and ignites the fiercest arms race the world has ever seen in Asia, the report said.
"China and India are partners and close neighbours. Getting along well with each other and achieving co-development is in the fundamental interests of the two," Yang said.
He also said that Indian and Chinese military are due to hold joint military exercise in November this year to increase mutual trust and pragmatic cooperation while preserving regional peace and stability.
Experts from both sides have had two rounds of consultations on the date, assignment and scale of the forces to be involved in the training, he said.
"The two defence ministries are keeping in touch on details of the training," he said.
The exercises codenamed "Hand-in-Hand" are scheduled to be held from November 4 to 14 in the Chengdu?Military Command area in?China. Both sides were expected to press in about 150 troops. The drills are expected to focus on anti-terrorism exercises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks