INS Vikrant won`t spark an arms race: China
Beijing: China on Thursday slammed as "groundless" local media commentaries that claimed India`s first indigenous aircraft carrier has sparked a regional arms race, saying they were aimed at "driving a wedge" between the two neighbours.
Local media has speculated that India has marched ahead of China with the launch of indigenously-built INS Vikrant.
China`s Defence Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun, however, slammed such comments saying that they were aimed at provoking tensions between China and India, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
"It is groundless and shows a lack of goodwill to use weapons equipment as a pretext to drive a wedge between China and India," he said.
His remarks followed recent comments alleging India`s aircraft carrier obviously targets China and ignites the fiercest arms race the world has ever seen in Asia, the report said.
"China and India are partners and close neighbours. Getting along well with each other and achieving co-development is in the fundamental interests of the two," Yang said.
He also said that Indian and Chinese military are due to hold joint military exercise in November this year to increase mutual trust and pragmatic cooperation while preserving regional peace and stability.
Experts from both sides have had two rounds of consultations on the date, assignment and scale of the forces to be involved in the training, he said.
"The two defence ministries are keeping in touch on details of the training," he said.
The exercises codenamed "Hand-in-Hand" are scheduled to be held from November 4 to 14 in the Chengdu?Military Command area in?China. Both sides were expected to press in about 150 troops. The drills are expected to focus on anti-terrorism exercises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!