Insurgents kill nine in Nigeria
Abuja: At least nine people were shot dead by suspected members of a radical Muslim sect in Nigeria`s northern cities of Kano and Maiduguri which have witnessed many incidents of violence in the past few days.
In Maiduguri, two were killed during an exchange of gunfire between the sect and soldiers at the centre of the town while some members later gunned down four others at a nearby market, a Joint Task Force (JTF) official said.
The incident happened just after President Goodluck Jonathan lifted curfew imposed in several parts of northern states.
Police commissioner of Borno state Bala Hassan confirmed the incident.
In the second attack, which took place in Kano, gunmen on motorbikes shot and killed three persons playing cards at a residential area and drove away.
Curfews were initially imposed on some states in the northern region due to increased suicide and gun attacks by Boko Haram sect which resulted in hundreds of deaths especially in Christian churches.
Although police did not name any individuals or groups responsible for the killings, Islamist sect Boko Haram has been known to carry out drive-by shootings in Kano, the largest city in northern Nigeria.
Boko Haram says it detests Western education and wants to impose an Islamic Sharia government in Nigeria`s north.
The sect carried out bombings, shootings and suicide attacks that killed hundreds of people since 2009 when they started their uprising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM