Int Council of Jurists backs Lankan govt on impeachment
Colombo: International Council of Jurists has come out in support of the Sri Lankan Government over the impeachment of its former Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake, saying the removal proceedings were in accordance with the law of the land.
It also extended "full support" to the new Chief Justice Mohan Peiris and the Sri Lankan Government in the wake of an international uproar over the impeachment of Bandaranayake last month.
"The procedure for removal of judges displays a good amount of similarity among various countries to that of the Sri Lankan system," Dr Adish C Aggarwala, President of International Council of Jurists, said in a letter to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Citing the procedures for removal of judges in countries like Australia, Bangladesh, and Singapore, Aggarwala said the Sri Lankan system for removal of judges displays a "good amount of similarity" to that of various other countries.
"We are sorry to observe that some organisations are decrying the removal as they are, in fact, not aware of Sri Lankan laws. It is always better to know law first and then comment," the letter said.
Rajapaksa had last month signed the decree removing Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake from her post after the country`s Parliament impeached her.
The impeachment and subsequent removal had brought Sri Lanka under the fire of many western countries which had criticised the move.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India