Int Council of Jurists backs Lankan govt on impeachment
Colombo: International Council of Jurists has come out in support of the Sri Lankan Government over the impeachment of its former Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake, saying the removal proceedings were in accordance with the law of the land.
It also extended "full support" to the new Chief Justice Mohan Peiris and the Sri Lankan Government in the wake of an international uproar over the impeachment of Bandaranayake last month.
"The procedure for removal of judges displays a good amount of similarity among various countries to that of the Sri Lankan system," Dr Adish C Aggarwala, President of International Council of Jurists, said in a letter to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Citing the procedures for removal of judges in countries like Australia, Bangladesh, and Singapore, Aggarwala said the Sri Lankan system for removal of judges displays a "good amount of similarity" to that of various other countries.
"We are sorry to observe that some organisations are decrying the removal as they are, in fact, not aware of Sri Lankan laws. It is always better to know law first and then comment," the letter said.
Rajapaksa had last month signed the decree removing Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake from her post after the country`s Parliament impeached her.
The impeachment and subsequent removal had brought Sri Lanka under the fire of many western countries which had criticised the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch