Intense fighting on in Syria`s Aleppo: Report
Aleppo: Unprecedented fighting was reported in Syria`s second biggest city of Aleppo, where the rebel Free Syrian Army (FSA) launched a decisive battle.
According to the residents and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, “The fighting is unprecedented and has not stopped since Thursday. The clashes used to be limited to one or two blocks of a district, but now the fighting is on several fronts."
Residents in the central districts of Sulimaniyeh and Sayyid Ali also said that the fighting had spread to previously peaceful areas.
According to the Syrian Observatory, clashes were also ongoing in Sakhur in the east, where army shelling attacks would be followed by five minutes of machinegun fire and a brief stop, then the shelling would begin again.
The sky in Aleppo has been clouded with dust and smoke since last night until the morning because of the intense bombing and shelling.
On Thursday, the UN said the number of Syrians fleeing to other states could exceed 700,000 by the end of the year.
More than half a million are believed to have already crossed into Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq, but only 294,000 have registered with the UN.
UN agencies and other humanitarian groups have issued a funding appeal for $488m (£300m) to help them meet the needs of the refugees.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'