Intensify law enforcement in sea: Li Keqiang
Beijing: Amid maritime disputes with its neighbours, Li Keqiang, who is set to take over as the new Prime Minister next month, called for intensified law enforcement in China`s sea territory.
"Supervising and governing seas under the jurisdiction of China is the main responsibility of Chinese marine surveillance staff," said Li, a Standing Committee member of the Communist Party of China`s Central Committee Political Bureau.
He is due to take over Prime Minister succeeding Wen Jiabao next month.
Li also extended festival greetings via satellite video to scientists performing duties in polar regions and on the ocean, and visited representatives of scientific expeditions stationed in Beijing and their family members.
The vice premier asked all marine surveillance staff to bear in mind their missions and defend every piece of sea that belongs to China.
His comments came in the amidst China`s maritime disputes with Japan and various South East Asian countries.
Li also urged them to improve their protection of the marine ecosystem and rationally develop the ocean during China`s building into a marine power.
The leader praised "impressive achievements" in marine research in recent years, citing Jiaolong, China`s manned submersible that can reach more than 7,000 meters below the sea and the Kunlun Station, China`s third station in the Antarctic and the highest in terms of altitude, official news agency Xinhua reported.
China will more actively participate in international cooperation in oceanic technologies, disaster relief and polar affairs, Li said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday