International monitors slam Kazakh vote
Astana: International monitors sharply criticised Kazakhstan`s Presidential Election on Monday, citing numerous cases of ballot box-stuffing and bemoaning a lack of transparency.
Condemnation of Sunday`s election, which saw incumbent President Nursultan Nazarbayev winning an overwhelming 95 percent of the vote, will leave Kazakh authorities` claims of growing democratisation in tatters.
Nazarbayev`s crushing win was expected, but an astonishingly high 90 percent turnout figure surprised observers.
The Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe`s election monitoring arm said the Central Asian nation had failed to improve significantly on previous elections, which were deemed not "free and fair”.
"This election has showed that the country still needs to make improvements to meet democratic commitments, particularly in the fields of freedom of assembly and media," said head OSCE mission observer Tonino Picula.
The 70-year-old Nazarbayev has led Kazakhstan virtually unchallenged since the 1980s, when it still formed part of the Soviet Union.
The OSCE said in a statement that violations included seemingly identical signatures on voter lists and numerous cases of ballot box-stuffing. The vote count also lacked transparency and correct procedures were often disregarded, the statement said.
Numerous reports have surfaced about authorities` efforts to ensure as high a turnout as possible, in an apparent effort to boost the legitimacy of Nazarbayev`s mandate.
"Many local authorities intervened in the election process in order to increase turnout," the OSCE said in its report.
Relentless state propaganda and rising income levels have assured Nazarbayev a genuinely high degree of popularity over the years. Western nations have had to balance their palpable distaste for the country`s slow pace of democratisation with their desire to benefit from its burgeoning energy boom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?