Internet services cut off across Syria
London: Internet services have been cut off across Syria after a road near the Damascus airport facility was closed amid heavy fighting.
Akamai, a firm that monitors global traffic, said Internet traffic stopped and that this supports the observation from another IT firm, Renesys, "that Syria is effectively off the Internet".
According to the Telegraph, the Internet going down coincided with reports that Syrian troops on Thursday evening had launched a major offensive in southeastern Damascus along the airport road.
The Army attacked rebel strongholds in a string of towns along the highway and near the airport, Syrian Observatory for Human Rights director Rami Abdel Rahman said.
Official media also reported operations in the province and said several members of an "armed terrorist group, Al-Nusra Front" had been killed in the town of Aqraba.
According to the paper, earlier, activists in Syria said Internet and mobile telephone communications were cut in the capital Damascus, and landlines were barely functioning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3