Interpol issues global arrest warrant for the ‘White Widow’, Samantha Lewthwaite
Zee Media Bureau
Nairobi: One day after the terrible Westgate shopping mall crisis here was over, the Interpol issued a "Red Notice" for the arrest of Briton Samantha Lewthwaite, the widow of a 7/7 bomber, linked to militant group al Shabaab.
According to the news reports, the Interpol has issued a worldwide arrest notice for Samantha at the request of Kenyan authorities.
Kenyan authorities had also confirmed today that militants from the same extremist group, Al Shabaab, that had took over a mall also attacked a security post near the Somali border, killing two police officers.
Also Read: Terrorists warn of more attacks in Kenya
It was believed that Lewthwaite might have been one of the al Shabaab terrorists who attacked the Nairobi Westgate mall last weekend and killed at least 72 in a four-day siege. Some of the witnesses reported a white woman as being among the terrorists.
Kenyan authorities had previously wanted Lewthwaite in connection with other terrorist charges too.
The Interpol ‘Red Notice’ — or arrest notice — said she was wanted by Kenya on charges of being in possession of explosives and conspiracy to commit a felony dating back to December 2011.
The notice was issued on Friday, just days after the Westgate mall siege ended.
“By requesting an INTERPOL Red Notice, Kenya has activated a global ‘tripwire’ for this fugitive,” said Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble.
“Through the INTERPOL Red Notice, Kenyan authorities have ensured that all 190 member countries are aware of the danger posed by this woman, not just across the region but also worldwide.”
Kenya mall attack mastermind studied in Pakistan
Meanwhile, reports also claim that the alleged Somali mastermind of the attack on the Westgate shopping mall connected with jihadists while studying in Pakistan and later fought in Afghanistan and Kashmir.
Mukhtar Abu Zubeyr, known as Godane, earned a scholarship in the 1990s to study in Pakistan, where he "connected with jihadist circles", analysts were quoted as saying by Washington Post.
Godane then travelled to "Afghanistan to train and fight, as well as to Kashmir", the report said.
The militant commander, thought to be in his mid-30s, returned to Somalia in 2002 and joined the Islamic Courts Union, an Islamist group that controlled large swaths in the southern part of the country.
He held senior positions until late 2006, when the transitional government drove the Islamists out. Hard-liners from the group then formed al Shabaab, which claimed responsibility for the attack on the Westgate mall in Nairobi that killed 67 people, including three Indian nationals.
The report described Godane as "a man of contradictions". He is "bookish, eloquent in both Arabic and Somali, recites poetry and is known to quote from obscure academic journals".
But he also ruthlessly killed most of his rivals to seize control of al Shabaab, the Somali militia linked to al Qaeda.
Al Shabaab said the attack in Nairobi was revenge for Kenya sending troops into Somalia. But the report said the carnage was just as much to do with the struggles inside the militia and Godane`s desire to make Al Shabaab and himself stronger and more relevant in the global jihad.
"The attack was Godane`s way of solidifying his recent quelling of internal dissent and firmly placing the organisation as a global jihadist entity," said Abdi Aynte, director of the Heritage Institute for Policy Studies, a Mogadishu-based think tank.
Al Shabaab`s larger footprint under Godane comes as al Qaeda`s central branch in Pakistan and Afghanistan is increasingly diminished.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22