Interpol operations net millions of fake goods
Paris: More than 6,000 people around the world were arrested in a two-month anti-counterfeiting sweep that netted tens of millions of dollars worth of fake shampoo in China, phony cigarettes in Turkey and bogus booze in Chile, Interpol said on Thursday.
In all, the operations coordinated by the Lyon, France-based international police agency in May and June seized some 24 million fake goods worth nearly USD 133 million, Interpol said in a statement.
The combined haul ranks among the largest operations ever conducted by the agency`s special anti-counterfeiting unit, according to its director, Michael Ellis.
As part of the worldwide push against counterfeiting, the agency helped lead operations by local authorities in the Americas, Africa, Europe and, for the first time, in Asia.
The Asian operation shut down 21 production sites operated by eight criminal syndicates making fake shampoo and toothpaste in southern China.
More than 400 people were arrested in Thailand for hawking counterfeit clothing and DVDs, while in Vietnam police arrested an individual linked to USD 6 million worth of illicit electronic appliances.
Ellis highlighted the significance of the Chinese police cooperation for the first time. "We reach out to various national police forces on a regional basis. This time the police in China joined the operation, with great effect," he said.
Interpol will use intelligence gathered during the raids to look for links between criminal organizations, Ellis said.
"The way the criminal networks work, there will be links. There`s a factory in one country, distribution supply chain in one country, money paid in a third country," Ellis said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!