Investigators raid Sarkozy`s home, office
Paris: Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy`s home and office were raided on Tuesday by French investigators who are probing suspected illegal financing of his 2007 presidential campaign by the L`Oreal cosmetics heiress.
Potential legal troubles have threatened Sarkozy since he lost the presidency to Socialist Francois Hollande in May elections. Sarkozy, who lost his immunity from prosecution on June 15, denies wrongdoing, reports an agency.
Judge Jean-Michel Gentil and other investigators from the Paris financial crimes unit conducted Tuesday`s search of Sarkozy`s home and offices, the official said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to be publicly named discussing an ongoing investigation.
Messages left with Sarkozy`s staff were not immediately returned.
The probe centers on the finances of France`s richest woman, L`Oreal cosmetics heiress Liliane Bettencourt.
A long-running family feud over her fortune ballooned in 2010 into a multi-layered investigation and political affair. Allegations emerged that Bettencourt provided illegal campaign cash to Sarkozy`s party during the 2007 campaign. Sarkozy vigorously denies the claims.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof