IRA planning terror strikes during G8 summit: MI5
London: A rebel group, calling itself the New IRA, is plotting a terror outrage as world leaders gather for a G8 summit in Northern Ireland, British counter intelligence agency MI5 chiefs have warned.
British PM David Cameron, US President Barack Obama and Russia’s Vladimir Putin will be among those meeting in Enniskillen in June.
A Whitehall source said that they could not rule out some cowardly attack, the Sun reports.
Security chiefs warned that the renegade terror group plotting to wreck the summit has 700 members.
Five militant groups opposed to the Northern Ireland peace process have joined forces to form the New IRA.
The summit, at the five-star loch-side Lough Erne hotel in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, will also be attended by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Francois Hollande, Canadian PM Stephen Harper, Japanese PM Shinzo Abe and Italian PM Mario Monti, if he is re-elected next month.
The new group claimed responsibility for the murder of prison officer David Black last November, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah