IRA planning terror strikes during G8 summit: MI5
London: A rebel group, calling itself the New IRA, is plotting a terror outrage as world leaders gather for a G8 summit in Northern Ireland, British counter intelligence agency MI5 chiefs have warned.
British PM David Cameron, US President Barack Obama and Russia’s Vladimir Putin will be among those meeting in Enniskillen in June.
A Whitehall source said that they could not rule out some cowardly attack, the Sun reports.
Security chiefs warned that the renegade terror group plotting to wreck the summit has 700 members.
Five militant groups opposed to the Northern Ireland peace process have joined forces to form the New IRA.
The summit, at the five-star loch-side Lough Erne hotel in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, will also be attended by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Francois Hollande, Canadian PM Stephen Harper, Japanese PM Shinzo Abe and Italian PM Mario Monti, if he is re-elected next month.
The new group claimed responsibility for the murder of prison officer David Black last November, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?