Iran: 17 soldiers killed in ammunition depot blasts
Tehran: Seventeen members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), including a senior commander, were killed on Saturday in two explosions at an ammunition depot near the Iranian capital, Xinhua reported.
The accidental blasts took place in an IRGC base in Bidganeh village in the northern province of Alborz, some 35 km from Tehran.
Windows of buildings near the site were shattered. Tehran`s residents felt the shock caused by the explosions.
Brigadier General Hassan Moqaddam, a senior commander of the IRGC, was among the dead.
According to IRGC`s public relations chief General Ramezan Sharif, 16 more were injured, some critically.
The blasts happened during relocation of some ammunition inside the base, Sharif said.
Iranian lawmaker Hossein Garousi said the explosions were so huge that the sound caused panic among the residents of Qods and Shahryar cities, several kilometers away.
The IRGC is a branch of Iran`s military founded after the Iranian revolution 33 years ago.
The IRGC has 125,000 military personnel, including ground, air and naval forces. It also controls the paramilitary Basij militia, which has 90,000 personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof