Iran already a nuclear state, claims Ahmadinejad
New York: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has declared that his country is a nuclear power and should be treated as such.
During an interview with an Egyptian newspaper on the eve of his visit to Cairo, he also stressed that his regime has no plans to use that capability for an attack on Israel.
Ahmadinejad told the newspaper Al-Ahram, according to the Israeli website Haaretz, that Iran is ‘already an industrial and nuclear country, a country that has conquered space.’
He added that for years Iran has been thinking about sending a human being into space, and that they will do it soon.
In Ahmadinejad’s remarks about Israel, he cast the Jewish state as the aggressor and said Iran is focused on protecting itself, the New York Daily News reports.
He said that the purpose of their nuclear programme is defense, and not to target Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter