Iran arrests business tycoon over corruption scandal
Tehran: Iran has arrested billionaire tycoon Babak Zanjani over financial corruption scandal, media reported on Saturday.
"Zanjani was arrested so that he could not flee the country," Prosecutor General and Judiciary spokesperson Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei was quoted as saying by an Iranian newspaper, Xinhua reported.
A number of Iranian lawmakers recently sent a letter to the head of Iran`s judiciary calling for an inquiry into Zanjani`s financial activities.
Since 2010, Zanjani "has used a web of more than 60 companies based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Turkey and Malaysia to sell millions of barrels of Iranian oil on behalf of the government, generating billions of US dollars of revenue, the daily said in a report.
He also owns and operates the UAE-based Sorinet Group, the Iranian Qeshm Airlines and the Rah Ahan Sorinet FC in Iran.
Zanjani`s arrest earlier this week came following Iranian President Hassan Rouhani`s remarks that his government will fight privileges of some people who took advantage of sanctions against the country.
Inside Iran, Zanjani has been accused of withholding part of money from oil sales. However, he said that the international sanctions had prevented him from transferring money into the country.
Zanjani has been blacklisted by the European Union on the grounds of what was stated as "assisting designated entities to violate the provisions of the EU regulation on Iran and is providing financial support to the government of Iran." His accounts were also frozen by the US Treasury in April 2013 for taking measures to circumvent sanctions against Iran.
Zanjani was claimed to be "a key facilitator for Iranian oil deals and transferring oil-related money."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’