Iran arrests suspected mosque bombing accomplices
Tehran: Iran on Friday said that it has
arrested suspected accomplices of two suicide bombers who attacked a Shiite mosque in the restive southeast earlier this
month killing at least 28 people.
"Some of those who helped the suicide bombers behind the Zahedan crime have been identified and some have been arrested," state news agency IRNA quoted deputy interior minister Ali Abdollahi as saying.
He did not specify how many were in custody.
"It is evident to us that the people who carried out
the terrorist attack in Zahedan`s Jamia mosque were linked to
the Rigi group," Abdollahi said, referring to the Sunni
militant group Jundallah, whose longtime leader Abdolmalek
Rigi was executed in Tehran last month.
Jundallah, or Soldiers of God, claimed the July 15
twin bombing in Zahedan, capital of Sistan-Baluchestan
province, which it said targeted members of the elite
The group says it is fighting for the rights of the
province`s large, mainly Sunni Baluchi population in
Police said that the day after the twin bombing they
killed six "criminals" in Sistan-Baluchestan province and
arrested 40 people for "creating disturbances" in Zahedan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi