`Iran attacked US drone in international waters`
Washington: A surveillance American drone in the Arabian Gulf was intercepted and attacked by Iranian jets early this month, the Pentagon has said.
"I can confirm that on November 1st at approximately 4:50 am Eastern Daylight Time, an unarmed, unmanned MQ-1 US military aircraft conducting routine surveillance over the Arabian Gulf was intercepted by Iranian Su-25 Frogfoot aircraft and was fired upon with guns," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters at a news conference on Thursday.
"The incident occurred over international waters approximately 16 nautical miles off the Iranian coastline. The MQ-1 was not hit and returned to its base safely. We have briefed relevant members of Congress on the incident," he said, adding that Defence Secretary Leon Panetta and US President Barack Obama were quickly informed about it.
The United States has communicated to the Iranians that it will continue to conduct surveillance flights over international waters over the Arabian Gulf consistent with long-standing practice and its commitment to the security of the region, Little said.
"We have a wide range of options from diplomatic to military to protect our military assets and our forces in the region and will do so when necessary," he said.
According to the Pentagon spokesman, the American unmanned and unarmed aircraft was never in Iranian airspace.
"It was always flying in international airspace. The internationally recognised territorial limit is 12 nautical miles off the coast. And we never entered the 12 nautical-mile limit," he said.
The drone was not hit and did not receive any damage, Little said, adding that it was fired at twice by the Russian-made Iranian jets.
"Our working assumption is that they fired multiple rounds to take it down. You`ll have to ask the Iranians why they engaged in this action," he said.
"The aircraft, once it came under fire at approximately the 16 nautical-mile range, moved further out. And the Iranian aircraft continued to pursue the MQ-1 for some period of time before letting it return to base," he added.
However, Little claimed that no other aircraft were deployed to respond to this Iranian action.
Asserting that the US will continue to fly drones in the international water, Little said there is absolutely no precedence for this. "This is the first time that a UAV has been fired upon, to our knowledge, by Iranian aircraft," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India