Iran backs Egypt`s `revolution of the noble`
Tehran: Iran on Sunday praised Egypt`s
"revolution of the noble" and slammed Western governments`
"backward" reaction to the uprising in the Arab nation, state
"The voice of the brave people of Egypt is the voice
of revolution. The start of this revolution has astonished the
despotic regimes of the region," parliament speaker Ali
Larijani was quoted as saying by the official IRNA news
"The parliament supports the uprising of the Tunisian
and Egyptian people," Larijani said, describing the protests
as "the revolution of the noble."
Iran`s new foreign minister Ali Akbar Salehi also
hoped that Egyptians` "high aims, national demands and
resurrection of their glory could be achieved in the very near
Larijani likened the Western states` position on Egypt
to "supporting the Shah during the Islamic revolution" which
toppled the US-backed monarch in 1979.
"Their analysis of Islamic countries is still
backward," he said at the beginning of an open session of the
Today, the Iranian foreign ministry called on Egyptian
leaders to submit to "justice-seeking" demands and avoid
violence as thousands of protesters clashed with troops in the
Tehran-Cairo ties were severed in 1980 following the
Islamic revolution in Iran and Egypt`s recognition of Israel.
The two countries have since only maintained interest sections
in their respective capitals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician