Iran backs Kofi Annan`s peace plan on Syria
Tehran: Iran supports six-point peace plan of the UN-Arab League joint envoy for Syria Kofi Annan as a means to move out of the Syrian crisis, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said on Tuesday.
Talking to reporters during his weekly press briefing, Mehmanparast dismissed some media reports that Annan`s peace plan on Syria has failed.
Annan`s six-point peace plan emphasises political and diplomatic settlement of the crisis in the conflict-torn Arab country.
Mehmanparast said that foreign interference in internal affairs of Syria is a main factor to hinder the implementation of Annan`s plan.
Syria has been witnessing violent clashes since March 201 when anti-government protests broke out in the country. The unrest has claimed the lives of some 12,000 people, including a large number of government troops, according to the most recent UN tally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vedanta sweetens Cairn merger deal, offers 3 additional preference shares
- Nanolayered composites can open new avenues in materials science: Researchers
- WORLD RECORD: Can Ravichandran Ashwin become the fastest bowler to claim 200 test wickets?
- ‘Abnormal’ foetus abortion case: SC asks for medical exam of alleged rape survivor
- Know what causes balding in men!