Iran begins designing first nuke submarine
Tehran: Iran has started designing the country’s first nuclear submarine, according to a report.
The state-media quoted the deputy navy chief in charge of technical affairs, Admiral Abbas Zamini, as saying that Iran has begun ‘initial stages’ of designing the nuclear-powered craft.
He stressed that Iran has developed ‘peaceful nuclear technology’ and has both the capability and the right to build a submarine, The Telegraph reports.
The move could further raise tensions between the Islamic country and West.
Western countries are at odds over Tehran`s nuclear programme, and the US suspects it is aimed at developing weapons technology, a charge Iran denies.
Iran has domestically built several small submarines over the past years.
It has recently overhauled one of the three non-nuclear Russian Kilo-class submarines it bought in 1990s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- AAP to woo Dalits by bringing separate ''Dalit manifesto'' in Punjab
- 'Masaan' will always be a special film for me: Richa Chadha
- DoT to issue demand notices this week to 6 telcos for 2006-07
- Not Virat Kohli but Joe Root is the best batsman in cricket: Muhammad Yousuf
- Priyanka Chopra to join Hollywood stars for anti-poverty concert