Iran begins uranium enrichment at new site: Report
Tehran: Iran has begun uranium enrichment at a
new underground site well protected from possible airstrikes,
a leading hardline newspaper reported on Sunday.
Kayhan daily, which is close to Iran`s ruling clerics,
said Tehran has begun injecting uranium gas into sophisticated
centrifuges at the Fordo facility near the holy city of Qom.
Iran is under UN sanctions for refusing to stop uranium
enrichment, which can produce both nuclear fuel and fissile
warhead material, and other suspected activities that the
international community fears could be used to make atomic
Tehran says it only seeks reactors for energy and
research, and refuses to halt its uranium enrichment
"Kayhan received reports yesterday that show Iran has
begun uranium enrichment at the Fordo facility amid heightened
foreign enemy threats," the paper said in a front-page report.
Kayhan`s manager is a representative of Iran`s Supreme Leader
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
But Iran`s nuclear chief Fereidoun Abbasi said yesterday
that his country will "soon" begin enrichment at Fordo. It was
impossible to immediately reconcile the two reports.
Iran has a major uranium enrichment facility in Natanz in
central Iran where nearly 8,000 centrifuges are operating.
Tehran began enrichment at Natanz in April 2006.
The Fordo centrifuges however are reportedly more
efficient, and the site better shielded from aerial attack.
Built next to a military complex, Fordo was long kept secret
and was only acknowledged by Iran after it was identified by
Western intelligence agencies in September 2009.
Both the US and Israel have not ruled out a military
strike should Iran continue with its programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt