Iran blames CIA, Mossad as it buries slain scientist
Tehran: Iran accused Israel and the United
States of killing one of its top scientists as part of an
increasingly contentious campaign against its nuclear
programme as it prepared to bury him on Friday.
Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan, a deputy director of Iran`s main
uranium enrichment plant, was killed on Wednesday when two men
on a motorbike slapped a magnetic bomb on his car while it was
stuck in Tehran traffic.
His funeral was to be be held after midday prayers, state
Iran`s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said the
"abominable" and "cowardly" killing was committed "with the
planning or support of the intelligence services of the CIA
and Mossad," of the United States and Israel.
He said in a statement his country would "continue with
determination" its nuclear activities, which Western
governments suspect mask a drive for a weapons capability
despite Tehran`s repeated denials.
Some media close to Iran`s conservatives have called
for "retaliation" against Israeli officials. The Iranian
government has demanded that the UN Security Council condemn
the "terrorist" killing.
The United States has strongly denied it had anything
to do with the assassination, although Defence Secretary Leon
Panetta admitted: "We have some ideas as to who might be
The prime suspect is widely seen as Israel, as it was
in the murders of three other Iranian scientists in similar
circumstances over the past two years. Israel, though, has a
policy of not commenting on intelligence matters.
Asked in a CNN interview today if Israel was involved
in Wednesday`s assassination of a nuclear scientist in Tehran,
President Shimon Peres said: "Not to the best of my
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’