Iran blocks UK website in new diplomatic spat
London: Iran has blocked access to a British
government website aimed at Iranian audiences in a new act of
aggression against the UK, Britain`s Foreign Secretary said
William Hague claimed that the website the online
presence of Britain`s now shuttered embassy in Tehran had been
deliberately targeted by the Iranian regime.
The decision to disrupt access to the site follows the
violent storming of Britain`s embassy by demonstrators last
month, when a mob trashed rooms, damaged furniture, scrawled
graffiti and tore up a portrait of Queen Victoria, as staff
Hague pulled British diplomats out of Iran for their own
safety and made the rare decision to expel all Iranian
diplomats from UK soil.
The British website contained information for Iranian
hoping to visit Britain and details on UK government policies.
Those trying to access the pages are now directed to a list of
Iranian government approved websites, including Iran`s
English-language Press TV.
"This action is counterproductive and ill-judged. It will
confirm to the Iranian people that their government is
determined to block their access to information, and to
conceal from them the international community`s legitimate
concerns about Iran`s policies and behaviour.
It will also make it harder for Iranian nationals to
access information about visiting the UK," Hague said.
He said the action provided further proof of "the Iranian
government`s dire record on freedom of speech and human rights
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city