Iran burns 100 tons of illicit drugs
Tehran: Iran burned at least 100 tons of illicit drugs on Wednesday in a ceremony in Tehran attended by officials and foreign dignitaries.
Officials at the burning, an annual occurrence marking the UN International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, accused the West of failing to back it in interdicting drug traffic that they said was driven by European addicts.
Iran lies on a major trafficking route between Afghanistan and Europe, as well as Persian Gulf states where the confiscation of large amounts of narcotics is common.
Gen. Ahmad Reza Radan, a top Iranian police commander, criticised the West for its lack of cooperation with Iran, saying that Western nations deny Tehran equipment needed to fight drug trafficking.
Radan said more than 3,700 Iranian troops have been killed and 12,000 others injured in the fight against drug trafficking in the past three decades.
"If it was not Iran`s will to fight drugs, then by today European countries definitely must have rounded up their young drug addicts in their streets," he said.
"Iran is at the front line of fighting narcotics, but countries involved not only don`t provide assistance to us, they refuse to provide the basic equipment such as sniffer dogs and electronic equipment."
Iranian officials in the past have threatened to allow the transit of illegal drugs through its territory to Europe if the West continues its non-cooperation or criticises Iran for its practice of executing drug traffickers.
European countries and allies say they are active in the region, including in Iran`s neighbours, trying to battle the opium trade and the flow of other drugs Iranian authorities have taken several steps to stop trafficking, including the building of dikes and trenches along large portions of its roughly 560-mile (900-kilometre) border with Afghanistan, the world`s largest producer of opium, the raw material for heroin.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram