Iran calls Israel Gaza raids `war crimes`
Tehran: Iran on Sunday called Israel`s deadly air
strikes on Gaza "war crimes" against "the defenceless
Palestinian people," calling for an international outcry
against the attacks.
"Iran strongly condemns the savage crimes of the Zionist
regime against the innocent and defenceless Palestinian people
in Gaza," the foreign ministry said in a statement carried by
the official IRNA news agency.
"The recent, repeated aggressions and invasions... are
condemned as war crimes and inhumane," it said.
International organisations and rights groups should speak
out "about this abhorrent violation of human rights," it
Israel has since Friday killed 18 people in air strikes,
including a schoolboy, in a campaign to stop rockets and
mortars being fired against the southern part of its
A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
said today that one site hit was being used to launch
Iranian-built Fajr-5 missiles.
"The IAF (Israel Air Force) destroyed launching pits of
Fajr long range rockets that can hit Tel Aviv," Ofir Gendelman
wrote in a posting on Twitter. "This is the result of
meticulous intelligence work."
The violence between Israel and Gaza militants erupted on
Friday afternoon when an Israeli strike killed the leader of
the ultra-hardline Popular Resistance Committees, Zuhair
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi described
Qaisi`s killing as an act of "state terrorism."
Israel is Iran`s arch-enemy in the Middle East.
The Jewish state, which has the region`s sole if
undeclared nuclear arsenal, has threatened to carry out air
strikes on Iranian atomic facilities to prevent the Islamic
republic gaining the technology and knowhow to make a nuclear
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway