Iran calls Wall Street protests `American Spring`
Tehran: An Iranian military commander said on Sunday that the protests spreading from New York`s Wall Street to other US cities are the beginning of an "American Spring”, likening them to the uprisings that toppled Arab autocrats in the Middle East.
General Masoud Jazayeri of Iran`s Revolutionary Guard said the protests against corporate greed and the gap between rich and poor are a revolution in the making that will topple what he called the Western capitalist system.
The Occupy Wall Street movement started in New York City last month and is spreading to other parts of the country. The loosely affiliated movement is peacefully protesting the power of the financial and political sectors.
Jazayeri said President Barack Obama`s election promises of change have reached a dead end.
"The failure of the US President to resolve the Wall Street crisis will turn this economic movement into a political and social movement protesting the very structure of the US government," the official IRNA news agency quoted Jazayeri as saying on Sunday.
"A revolution and a comprehensive movement against corruption in the US is in the making. The last phase will be the collapse of the Western capitalist system," he said, according to IRNA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown