Iran can produce N-fuel for vessels, submarines: Official
Tehran: Iran has the know-how to produce nuclear fuel for submarines and commercial ships, a top official has said.
"We have the capability to design nuclear fuel for ships and submarines, but currently no plan to enrich uranium beyond 20 percent is on our agenda," Fereydoun Abbasi, head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI), was quoted as saying by state-run Press TV.
Abbasi`s remarks came as several Iranian lawmakers said they had prepared a draft bill urging the government to equip commercial vessels with nuclear propulsion systems in order to avert the US-engineered sanctions that ban other countries from refuelling Iranian ships.
The AEOI has no difficulty to move towards such systems and technologies, once it becomes a matter of basic necessity and the government makes a decision on it, said Abbasi.
The US, Israel, and some of their allies accuse Tehran of making atomic weapons in the guise of a peaceful nuclear programme. Iran has strongly refuted the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire