Iran can produce N-fuel for vessels, submarines: Official
Tehran: Iran has the know-how to produce nuclear fuel for submarines and commercial ships, a top official has said.
"We have the capability to design nuclear fuel for ships and submarines, but currently no plan to enrich uranium beyond 20 percent is on our agenda," Fereydoun Abbasi, head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI), was quoted as saying by state-run Press TV.
Abbasi`s remarks came as several Iranian lawmakers said they had prepared a draft bill urging the government to equip commercial vessels with nuclear propulsion systems in order to avert the US-engineered sanctions that ban other countries from refuelling Iranian ships.
The AEOI has no difficulty to move towards such systems and technologies, once it becomes a matter of basic necessity and the government makes a decision on it, said Abbasi.
The US, Israel, and some of their allies accuse Tehran of making atomic weapons in the guise of a peaceful nuclear programme. Iran has strongly refuted the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan