Iran claims to have developed anti-cruise missile system
Tehran: A top Iranian military commander has said that the Islamic republic has developed an anti-cruise missile system, the state owned English language television
station Press TV has reported.
"Despite thirty years of military sanctions by the enemy, the armed forces have taken appropriate steps toward self-sufficiency," Brigadier General Ahmad Miqani, who heads
Iranian army`s air defence office said.
"Today, we are able not only to identify stealth cruise missiles, but also to destroy them," he added, without elaborating.
Miqani said Iran was also improving its "existing defence system, constructing tens of anti-aircraft artillery pieces... and active and passive radars."
In May, Iran said it had launched a production line to manufacture cannons for warships which can be used against cruise missiles.
Iran has boasted in the past of developing new weapons systems only for its claims to be met with scepticism by Western defence analysts.
Top military commanders have often said that Iran has developed missiles which can reach any corner of arch-foe Israel.
Ties between Iran and Israel have deteriorated since the first term of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who said the Jewish state is doomed to be "wiped off the map."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list