Iran claims to have developed anti-cruise missile system
Tehran: A top Iranian military commander has said that the Islamic republic has developed an anti-cruise missile system, the state owned English language television
station Press TV has reported.
"Despite thirty years of military sanctions by the enemy, the armed forces have taken appropriate steps toward self-sufficiency," Brigadier General Ahmad Miqani, who heads
Iranian army`s air defence office said.
"Today, we are able not only to identify stealth cruise missiles, but also to destroy them," he added, without elaborating.
Miqani said Iran was also improving its "existing defence system, constructing tens of anti-aircraft artillery pieces... and active and passive radars."
In May, Iran said it had launched a production line to manufacture cannons for warships which can be used against cruise missiles.
Iran has boasted in the past of developing new weapons systems only for its claims to be met with scepticism by Western defence analysts.
Top military commanders have often said that Iran has developed missiles which can reach any corner of arch-foe Israel.
Ties between Iran and Israel have deteriorated since the first term of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who said the Jewish state is doomed to be "wiped off the map."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Pakistan booked Baloch nationalists as it failed to buy them, says defence expert
- Tokyo prepares for 2020 Olympics, facing rising costs and new sports
- In Pakistan's interest to take action against terrorists: Pentagon
- REVEALED: 'Be progressive, not obstructionist' - Here's why Supreme Court slammed Arvind Kejriwal government
- Prakash Javadekar rewrites history! Watch video to know what he said about Netaji, Nehru and Patel